Our school was founded in 1847 to serve the local community.
St Barnabas school, originally known as St Barnabas College, was completed in 1847, on land specifically given by the Duke of Westminster in perpetuity for the education of the poor. The school acted temporarily as the parish church, until the church itself was completed on adjacent land three years later. The buildings were funded by voluntary contributions from the inhabitants of the adjoining areas. When built, with an allowance of 6ft per child, the school building could accommodate 582 children, at a cost of 1d per week.
It has a long tradition of welcoming children from Christian families and from other faiths. We offer our children a high standard of education within a caring and secure environment where honesty, independence and trust are valued.
We work closely with parents, governors and our local community to offer our pupils a safe and healthy environment where they can develop the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become lifelong learners and responsible citizens.