We have a strong partnership with St Barnabas’ Church, Westminster that strengthens our links with the community.
We regularly use our church for Collective Worship, services, performances, assemblies and events. Fr John Pearson-Hicks leads Collective Worship every week.
The parish have been ‘serving and encouraging’ people living, working and passing through the area since 1850. It is a beautiful Grade 1 listed church - We are actively involved in the school and are seeking greater engagement with the local and wider community.
St Barnabas school, originally known as St Barnabas College, was completed in 1847, on land specifically given by the Duke of Westminster in perpetuity for the education of the poor. The school acted temporarily as the parish church, until the church itself was completed on adjacent land three years later. The two buildings present a continuous frontage of Kentish Ragstone: this frontage naturally links church and school both optically and symbolically. The buildings were funded by voluntary contributions from the inhabitants of the adjoining areas. When built, with an allowance of 6ft per child, the school building could accommodate 582 children, at a cost of 1d per week.
(Taken from London Diocesan Board of Schools: St Barnabas School, Internal report, London, 2011).